Friday, March 20, 2009

Regional Meeting - Mt. Diablo Adult Ed (North)

[Note to bloggers: Remember to hit the "publish" button! I actually wrote this over a week ago!]
Branka and I had the great pleasure to meet with Kathleen Edel and Bethany Rich on Friday March 20th with our charming hostess Sally Peckingham at Mt. Diablo Adult Education, Loma Vista Adult Center in Concord. Branka, Kathleen, Bethany and I drove down together from the Sacramento/Elk Grove area and stopped at Luigi's Italian Delicatessen, on Sally's recommendation to pick up sandwiches for lunch. They do not have a web site (that I could find) so I linked you to Yelp - a review site for all things food. I won't bore you with details, but I will say it was worth the wait!

Over lunch we talked about the current budget situation and what impacts they knew of within their own programs. At that time information was sketchy at best and everyone maintained a positive attitude.

Kathleen updated everyone on Connie's progress using assistive technology for her personal use in the classroom. You will hear more about the specifics on Connie during Kathleen's May presentation. I don't want to give away any details, but I know everyone will be impressed with Connie! Kathleen is also working on using a Wiki for WASC collaboration and to support students in the ESL/GED/CTE and ASE programs.

Sally is also working with wikis. She showed us how to embed video and photo slideshows into PBWiki. To view other resources use these links:
PBwiki - http://pbwikimanual.pbwiki.com/EmbedGoogleDocs
Wikispaces - http://21ctools.wikispaces.com/Google+Presentations

Bethany is waiting for install and training on SmartBoards but needs to get the overhead projectors installed first! Hopefully that will happen soon so she can start working with her mentee on developing lesson plans. Branka shared two sites where adult educators can share their lessons for interactive whiteboards, based on the type they have:
SMARTBoard - http://drop.io/interactivewhiteboardlessonsincaadultedSMARTBoard
Promethean - http://drop.io/interactivewhiteboardlessonsincaadultedPROMETHEAN#

Other resources shared:
FreeRice at Http://www.freerice.com

All in all, it was a great meeting. If I missed anything we shared, please post it in a comment, or send me a note and I'll update this post.

No comments: